The Order of the Spurs
SUBJECT: 1st Squadron, 158th Cavalry "Order of the Spur" Program
1. The Spur program is designed to recognize individual qualifications for those in a cavalry unit. The privilege of being awarded spurs in 1/158th Cavalry comes with hard work.
2. The following minimum guidelines must be met:
- 100% constructive attendance
- MOSQ or Branch qualified
- 2 years in the 1-158 (waiverable by Squadron Commander)
- Interview with Squadron Commander
3. In addition to the above minimum requirements, the following are criteria that will be graded on a point system. A total of 300 out of a maximum of 450 will qualify.
The Squadron Commander will then award the Spurs to be worn proudly during the individuals cavalry career.
- Individual Weapons Qual: Marksman = 50......Sharpshooter = 100.....Expert = 150
- Annual Physical Fitness Test: 180-220 = 50........220-270 = 100........270-300 = 150
- Cavalry Thesis w/bibliography: Grade C = 50..... Grade B = 100..... Grade A = 150
Spurs may not retain the practical value that they once had,
but the tradition lives on.
The 1/158th Cavalry continues to recognize hard charging individuals, who the unit can rely upon to perpetuate the cavalry spirit.